Xavier Navarrete acts as counsel to the firm in the area of civil litigation, with a focus on franchise, employment, insurance and commercial litigation. Xavier has extensive experience attending trials, appeals and motions before the Ontario Court of Appeal and the Superior Court of Justice.
Xavier has handled cases against some of the leading franchisors in Canada, has been on the opposing side against the leading law firms in Ontario, and has argued some of the most critical and complex franchise cases in Ontario.
Xavier has experience in the following areas:
- Complex trials including:
- Breach of contract proceedings (including insurance and franchise matters)
- Breach of duty claims (professional, fiduciary, and good faith)
- Bad faith claims against insurers
- Subrogation claims against third party tortfeasors
- Partnership and Shareholders’ Disputes
- Injunctive relief
- Oppression remedy under both the Canada Business Corporation Act (CBCA) and the Ontario Business Corporations Act (OBCA)
- Intellectual property disputes involving:
- Franchise rescission and breach of good faith cases
- Review of franchise agreements to ensure compliance with the Arthur Wishart Act (Franchise Disclosure)
- Enforcement of foreign judgments (including defence of Federal Trade Commission (FTC) proceedings)
- International disputes involving the sale of goods, services, and licensing of technology